Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Monday, November 30, 2015

Christmas Latte

At this time of the year, Starbucks and other gourmet coffeehouses. My new found love of my life Janis Dallman, loves her cappuccinos and lattes. So I'm always looking for easy recipes, but sometimes I just experiment and see what happens.
Little does Janis knows, she is secretly my guinea pig. But she knows that I love her with all my heart, so she isn't too afraid. At least not yet.

(BETTER THAN STARBUCKS!) EGGNOG LATTE

I have to admit that I love my more-than-occasional trips to Starbucks. It feels like such a treat to have a tasty latte prepared just for me. Eggnog Latte - The Ingredients However, the frequency of these trips has increased and my once-beloved “treat” has now turned into an expensive habit routine. So, I started thinking. [Insert image of wheels very slowly starting to turn] Eggnog Latte - Making The Steamed Milk If I purchased an espresso machine, how long until I would save money on my lattes?  Hmmm. Well, turns out espresso makers — at least the ones I would want — are like $2000.  Um, no thanks. Eggnog Latte - Without An Espresso Maker Then, I thought about what actually goes into a latte and, suddenly, it didn’t seem so difficult to try it out at home without an espresso machine. So, I gave it a shot (ha — pun totally intended!) and…it was phenomenal! Eggnog Latte - Without An Espresso Maker Thanks to my handy dandy Stick Blender, this is all a breeze.  Man, I love that thing! Eggnog Latte - Using A Stick Blender But, it’s also totally possible to make using just a mason jar and lid.  Seriously, is there anything mason jars can’t do? I’ve now made Eggnog Lattes, Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Mocha Lattes (*eh hem* all my favorites from Starbucks, in case you were wondering). Eggnog Latte - Pouring and Reserving The Foam Truthfully, these actually rival the best lattes I’ve had at Starbucks.  (Why do I feel like lightening is now going to strike me for saying that?  Weird.) Plus, they cost just a fraction of the price. I determined a tall-sized equivalent of my Eggnog Latte costs $1.18 per serving. Um…that’s a HUGE difference! Eggnog Latte - Sprinkling The Nutmeg So, here you go!  Try out this Eggnog Latte.  It is so simple and so delicious (and so darn cheap). I hope you (and your wallet) like it as much as Dustin and I do. Eggnog Latte Oh, and I totally recommend trying out my homemade eggnog recipe as well — it’s super delicious and helps to make one very yummy latte. Curious to see how to make one? Watch me make it both ways in the video below!

(BETTER THAN STARBUCKS) EGGNOG LATTE

Here's a tasty (better-than-Starbucks!) Eggnog Latte recipe. It's so easy to make a latte at hom without an espresso maker!


2 tbsp. sugar
⅓ cup milk
⅔ cup eggnog (here's my eggnog recipe below)
½ cup prepared unflavored coffee at double concentration (or 2 shots espresso)
pinch of ground nutmeg, optional (but oh so tasty!)

NON-ALCOHOLIC EGGNOG

Not sure how things are in your house, but when the holiday season comes around, eggnog takes a welcomed spot in our fridge.
It seems like I have some sort of eggnog radar when grocery shopping.  I know it’s the holiday season, not when the leaves start changing and the weather gets colder, but when I excitedly see the eggnog in the refrigerated section of our supermarket.  Without fail, I will find it.  Have no fear.
While I can get my eggnog fix after only a glass or two.  Guess it’s the kid in me.
For years, I’ve been saying I’d make some homemade eggnog.  But, every year, I find it too hard to wait for me to buy all the ingredients and make it on my own.
Well, that and because I always seem to push off making it.
Well, ladies and gentlemen, this year will be different.
This year, I will make some homemade non-alcoholic eggnog.
Making eggnog is actually quite simple.  You probably have most, if not all, the ingredients you need already sitting in your fridge or pantry.
What I liked about making my own is that I can control the flavors.  I get to add just the right touch of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Plus, the eggnog is super creamy and delicious…it just tastes better.
Try it — you’ll understand.
Word to the wise: If you’re looking to serve several people or want extra for yourself, it doubles and triples well.
Also, please, oh please, use this eggnog to make your very own eggnog latte at home.  You’ll be blown away by the goodness, I promise.

NON-ALCOHOLIC EGGNOG

This is the best non-alcoholic eggnog recipe I've ever had. Rich, creamy and smooth, it's soooo yummy!

2 cups milk
5 whole cloves
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ cup sweetened, condensed milk
4 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp.ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine milk, cloves, cinnamon and condensed milk over low heat in a deep sauce pan until the mixture is no longer chilled and is heated through. Slowly increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a low boil. Careful not to allow a rolling boil.
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Beat eggs using a stand mixer,electric mixer or by hand until lightened in color and fluffy.
Slowly temper the eggs by adding about 1 tbsp. at a time of the hot milk mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Once enough of the milk mixture is in the egg mixture, pour it all back into the sauce pan. Heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. You will know it's thick when you can leave a clean line on the back of a spoon.
Add the heavy whipping cream, nutmeg and vanilla extract to the mixture and heat through. Do not bring to a boil.
Strain the mixture using a fine mesh strainer to catch the spices. Place in an airtight container in the refrigerator and let cool for at least one hour, preferably longer.
Serve cold. Garnish with additional nutmeg if desired.

No comments: