Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Sunday, June 28, 2015

You Can Substitute Egg Whites With What?????

This vegan marshmallow fluff is going to rock your world…






Sweetener of choice
PLUS
Water from a can of chickpeas
EQUALS
Homemade marshmallow fluff ????

Crazy, right?!

I can’t take credit for this brilliant “bean liquid egg whites” discovery using the liquid from a can of garbanzo beans with sugar to form stiff peaks then pipe the mixture out and bake it into vegan meringues.
However, a few months later when I noticed some of my friends posting stunningly beautiful chickpea vegan meringues on Facebook, suddenly I was intrigued. Then another reader left a comment on the blog asking if I’d tried bean meringue yet and mentioning that chickpea liquid has been used as an egg substitute since as early as in a 1968 cookbook (Ten Talents, by Rosalie and Frank J Hurd). Wait… so it can be an egg replacer in other things besides meringue?!? Like crepes?! Or baked goods?? So many ideas are swirling around in my head right now…
The message had mentioned whipping the liquid with fine sugar to form meringue, but I wanted to know if it would also work with a liquid sweetener. Only one way to find out! Seven minutes in, my pseudo meringue still looked like water, and I was almost ready to give up and throw the whole thing out. But—magically after 9 minutes—it began to thicken… and thicken… and thicken even more!
I had a baking sheet all ready to go for the meringues…The only problem was that I just couldn’t seem to stop dipping my spoon into the airy cream.
It was just like marshmallow fluff!
I’ve used this healthy marshmallow fluff for homemade s’mores, as frosting for cupcakes or cake, in cookies… the possibilities go on and on!

Vegan Marshmallow Fluff
(makes about 3 cups)

1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas or white beans, with or without salt
1/3 c. honey or agave OR ½ c. powdered sugar
Pinch cream of tartar, for stabilization
Feel free to add a little vanilla or almond extract

Open the can of beans and drain just the watery part into a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl. (Save the actual beans for a different recipe). You should have about ½ cup chickpea liquid. Add all other ingredients, and beat with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer for 12-16 minutes. It will look thin for quite a while (and you’ll probably be cussing me) but don’t give up hope! Mine really began to thicken around 10-11 minutes. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. It separates overnight, but rebeating works perfectly. (I’ve not tried this recipe without beaters, but you are free to experiment. The sugar version can be baked into meringues; I haven’t tried baking the liquid sweetener version.) I’ve tried this healthy marshmallow fluff with both regular and unsalted bean liquid and can’t taste a big difference, so use whatever you have on hand.



No comments: