Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Is It Really A Cake?

Lately, I've been experimenting with using the microwave. Why? Well, it's because of recent life altering events in my life. I have been living in a homeless shelter for almost a year now, and quite frankly I miss cooking. So, what's a homeless chef to do, without losing his mind? Cook! How, when there is no stove available or oven or mixer or any other kitchen appliances and tools available? By adapting and using what is available for me, or any other homeless cook.
So with trial and error, I've managed to keep my skills (and mind) intact. I'm currently working on a new cookbook which will be ready for eBook publishing soon. What is the new cookbook about? The cookbook will be filled with many recipes, that can be prepared individually using simple tools and a microwave. There will be dinner entrées as well as desserts. This recipe is one of many recipes, that can be found in my new soon to be published cookbook.

Earthquake and Volcano Chocolate Cake

1 German chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. Water
1/4 c. Applesauce or oil
8 oz. Cream cheese, softened
1 c. Powdered sugar
1/2 c. Coconut, shredded
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 c. Butter, softened
1/2 c. Chopped pecans, optional

Sprinkle coconut and pk scans in the bottom of a deep square or round microwave safe cake pan. In a gallon sized zip freezer bag, mix eggs, oil (or applesauce. I prefer the applesauce), water and cake mix. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal it and with your hands knead until thoroughly mix and has no lumps. Pour the mixture over the coconut. In another bag, do the same, mixing the cream cheese and butter together. Then add the vanilla and powdered sugar. Knead until it is nice and creamy.
Microwave for 10-15 minutes.
The cake will erupt and have craters like a volcano. Top with whipped topping and enjoy!

No comments: