Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

In Memory Of My Grandmother

My grandmother was from old world Italy, in her presence I was to converse with her only in Italian. Needless to say, I had to learn the eloquent language.
She inspired me and taught me to cook at an early age of 8 years old. I have been cooking ever since. She was a very stern lady, when it came to being disciplined, but she was also a very caring woman as well. Not just to family, but to friends and neighbors on the block. If she heard that someone was I'll or recently lost a loved one, she was at the door to see if she could be of service.
For all that she has done for me and others, I dedicate this blog entry and recipe to her. I love you grandmama, missed you and I hope my cooking has never let you down.

Tagliata di Manzo con Scarola
(Seared Sirloin With Escarole)

1 1/2 lb. Sirloin steak
2 1/4 c. Dry white wine
5 tbsp. Olive oil
2 sage sprigs
1 rosemary sprig
1 garlic clove, gently smashed and peeled
1 bay leaf
1 lemon
1 large head escarole, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 flat anchovy fillets
Fine sea salt
Black pepper
2 tbsp. Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Place steak in a baking dish. In a medium saucepan, combine wine, 2 tablespoons of oil, sage, rosemary, garlic and bay leaf, bring to a boil then remove from the heat and pour over the steak. Let stand at room temperature, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, with a paring knife, cut zest from 1/2 of lemon in long wide strips. Thinly slice strips lengthwise and set aside. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Add escarole in batches, if opted, add anchovy, cook stirring until the escarole is wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Season with generous pinch of salt. Remove from heat.
Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry, discard marinade. Season steak well with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat remaining oil over medium high heat. Cook steaks 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a plate, allow to rest 5-10 minutes. On a cutting board, thinly slice steak. Divide steak and escarole among serving plates, drizzle with meat juices. Garnish with zest, parsley and pepper.
Enjoy!

Per mia nonna con tutto il mio amore. Perché con la mia cucina, io onorarti. possa tu riposare in pace.

No comments: