Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Sunday, July 20, 2014

My Story; My Life

Today, I've decided to not write about food or showcase my dishes. Today, I decided to tell you all about me, my life in the past 18 months after the passing of my wife. I feel that everyone needs to know what I went through and what I have accomplished.
My wife of 28 years, passed away in December of 2012. She had suffered several massive strokes within a matter of 24 hours. But they weren't her first. Easter 2002, she suffered a stroke that had left her completely disabled.
After her death, I had thought that I was strong enough to move on and continue with life. Boy was I ever wrong. By June 2013, six months after her death, I decided to just fill my van with what I wanted and leave York for North Platte. Once in North Platte, my depression had started to have a stranglehold on me. I couldn't concentrate on my work, ended up living in a homeless shelter there until September. I then decided to see if I can get back into life and returned to York. Boy was I wrong. For then the depression really started choking the life out of me. I was sleeping in my van and eating food out of cans. In November, I decided to go to the People's City Mission in Lincoln. Was there until January of this year. I had the opportunity to return back to my old job at the college in York. But again, my depression grew even darker. On a very cold early morning 2-3 in the morning to be exact, I found myself wondering the streets in just my boxers. In the snow and ice, no shoes or socks. How I was never caught and arrested is beyond me.
It was then that I realized that I needed help. So back to Lincoln I went and back to the shelter. I'm now receiving counseling for my depression. Finally getting proper medical care for my Parkinson's and lupus. But I still have a very long ways to go. Just recently, I've been told of my approval of disability from SSA and that I will be having my own place to call home once again.
So now you all know what I have been thru and where I'm going from here. Thank you all for your years of reading my blogs, and I will continue to entertain you all with my adventures soon again.

No comments: