Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Lost and Wayward Chef

The Tale Of The Lost Chef

It has been so very long since I have posted anything on this blogsite, and I wholeheartedly apologized for it.
Since my wife passed away back in December 20012, I have not been the same since. I am currently battling a good-sized battle with depression. Over the past 10 months, I have been homeless and been wandering all over the state of Nebraska.
As I continue to get my head back on my shoulders so to speak, and to also continue my quest in seeking spiritual guidance as well, I will be doing my blog as a healing process to myself as well. Like the saying goes, "you can remove the chef from the kitchen, but you can't remove the kitchen from the chef".
I will now proceed to what I have discovered, which is quite an interesting dessert that is at the top of my list of dishes that I intend to make.




Chocolate Grand Marnier Souffle (Hot Chocolate Souffle)
  - For four 6-ounce ramekins, approximately -

6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped

1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)

1/4 cup whole milk

5 1/2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for ramekins

1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 large egg yolks, at room temperature

4 large egg whites, at room temperature



Butter 4 approximately 6-ounce ramekins and coat each with a teaspoon or so of sugar, shaking out any excess.  Set ramekins on top of a baking sheet.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.



Melt chocolate, espresso powder, and milk in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.  Remove from the pan and whisk in 2 1/2 tablespoons of sugar and egg yolks.  Stir in the grand marnier and vanilla extract.  Set aside.



Place egg whites into bowl of stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Whip on medium speed until the whites turn foamy.  Slowly add the remaining sugar and whip until it just reaches stiff peaks.



Gently fold the whites into the chocolate base using a rubber spatula.  Fill the ramekins almost to the top.  Smooth the tops and run your thumb around the ramekin (this is supposed to help the soufflé rise evenly).  You can leave the filled ramekins at room temperature for a few hours before baking when you are ready. 


Bake for about 12 minutes or so.  They are done when they've puffed up and are firm though still wiggle when moved.  Serve immediately.

Optional: Dust top of souffle lightly with unsweetened cocoa powder or confectioners' sugar.  Serve with something cold like lightly sweetened whipped creamed, vanilla ice cream, or crème anglaise.

 

No comments: