Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Obsession With Red Velvet? Who Me?


I have been informed by my friends that I am apparently obsessed with red velvet. I don't know where they get such an idea like that.
I still have no idea what they’re talking about.
None. Whatsoever.

Red Velvet Rice Krispie

Now the first time I made this,I was slightly disappointed in the lack of cake flavor that came through in the end. It was a little sweeter than normal, but it wasn't screaming "cake batter!" to me.
So what else to do but add more? And why not make it red velvet while we're at it. Because, well, supposedly I have a thing for it. Or something.
Despite the shockingly red color, once again the whole cake flavor didn't really come through as expected, even though I doubled the amount of cake mix called for. Hmm. Either way, it's still a Rice Krispie treat, which means it's still scrumptious. Even when you take them outside in 500 degree heat to take pictures and they start melting all over again.
Except for those dang white chocolate chips. Which refused to melt for anything. Not in the microwave, and not on the stove top. Odd and frustrating at the same time. Oh well, they work just fine sprinkled on as whole chocolate chips too.

Red Velvet Rice Krispie Treats

3 tbsp. butter
1 (10.5 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. red velvet cake mix
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal
1 tbsp. sprinkles
4 oz. white chocolate chips, melted
Line a 9x13 inch pan with wax paper; coat well with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add marshmallows, stirring frequently, until melted. Stir in vanilla and cake mix until fully combined and no lumps remain. Stir in cereal, making sure it is well-coated with marshmallow mixture. Transfer Rice Krispie mixture to the prepared pan, pressing down until the top is level. Top with sprinkles and drizzle with melted white chocolate.

No comments: