Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Cookies With A Twist (Is It A Dessert or A Vegetable)?


This past Sunday, I decided to make some cookies for the college students. But I didn’t want to make just any cookie, I want to give them a taste of something different.
So I made Mashed Potato Cookies. Mashed Potato? You asked. Yes, I made Mashed Potato Cookies, and yes they were utterly delicious.

mashed potato cookies

These cookies were originally from Sweden I believe, but I could be wrong so don’t quote me on it for sure.
When I made these, I didn’t have any Bisquick mix on hand, so I use my trusty old recipe for an all purpose mix (In which I broke down to a smaller portion). I will give you all the recipe for the mix following the cookie recipe.

Mashed Potato Cookies
1 ¼ c. mashed potatoes
1 ¼ c. All Purpose Mix, or you may use Bisquick
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted
1 tsp. coconut flavoring
Mix all together and bake at 325 for 15 minutes or until brown at the edges.
This is my everyday go to mix for biscuits, shortcake, coffeecake, and scones and even a delicious self crusting quiche.  You can use this mix in any recipe calling for biscuit mix.
All-Purpose Quick Mix
5 lb. bag flour (20 Cups)
4 c. nonfat dry milk powder or buttermilk powder
¾ c. baking powder
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. cream of tartar
5 c. vegetable shortening
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.  With Pastry blender (or your hands) cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal in texture.  Store in airtight container.
Use ½ whole wheat flour, if desired.
Cut recipe in ½ for smaller households.

No comments: