Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Turn Your Dinner Into A Luau


char siu

A very good friend of mine from Hawaii (Chef Traci Yamane), suggested that I should plan a Luau for the College I work at. She even gave me a few suggestions to some very delicious dishes as well. With Char Siu being one of them.
At first I wasn’t sure as to what Char Siu was, So I asked around my little circle of Chef friends and guess what…. I had the recipe in my files all along. In fact, I made this dish over a year ago. Luckily someone pointed me in the right direction and this is very close, the color is spot on. It turns out the redness of the meat comes from red food coloring but this is totally optional. This dish I believe is typically roasted but I decided to put the pork on skewers and grill them instead. If you want you could just leave the pork lions whole, marinate and roast them in the oven. This recipe will also work with boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts. Enjoy.
Char Siu Recipe
3 lb. lean pork loin (cut into strips)
2 tsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. powdered ginger
¼ c. hoisin sauce
¼ c. ketchup
¼ c. honey
1 tbsp. rice wine (or sherry)
1 tsp. red food coloring (optional)
Cut pork loin into long strips. In a large bowl combine soy sauce, garlic powder, ginger, hoisin, ketchup, honey, rice wine and food coloring. Place pork into bowl, cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Soak skewers in cold water. Slide pork strips onto each skewer.
Grill until pork is fully cooked.

No comments: