Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Oriental Dinner, Quick and Easy!


With the economy the way it is, it seems like everyone is cutting back and trying hard not to spend money aimlessly on things.  I think this is great.  This is something that many people have needed to do for years now.  But with so many blogs out there filled with all types of money saving tips, which I too will share, there comes a point where you feel guilty buying something that you truly want or enjoy, but you need to know, it’s ok to splurge every now and then.

Shoyu Chicken

One of my favorite dishes on the menu was Shoyu Chicken. The chicken was braised in a soy sauce mixture (shoyu is soy sauce in Japanese), and was always tender and delicious.
Since it was the late 80′s and internet cooking sites didn’t exist yet, I decided to try my hand at recreating it at home.
At this point, though, I was just guessing as to what the chicken was braised in. I put some chicken in a pot, added soy sauce and chopped garlic. My memory is fuzzy on this part but I may have added some water or chicken broth to dilute the soy mixture. Then I let it simmer until I deemed it was finished cooking. I was so proud of myself for embarking on this little adventure, and fully expected the finished dish to be perfection. With great anticipation I took the first bite. Boy was I bummed…it was NASTY!!! I had no idea at the time that sugar was one of the main ingredients so, of course, my version was sans sugar. It was hideously salty. I felt terrible for ruining good chicken but that’s just the way it goes sometimes when you experiment.
I decided to move on with my life and so the pursuit of shoyu chicken faded into my past.
I now make shoyu chicken for dinner regularly. It’s quick and easy and I always serve in with steamed rice and veggies.

Shoyu Chicken

¾ c. Soy Sauce
¾ c. sugar or packed brown sugar
½  inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
Hot cooked rice
Put the first 5 ingredients in a skillet, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.   Serve over rice.  I even got lazy and didn’t slice my ginger and it was still fine.
This is the perfect meal for when you are tired and need to get a good meal on the table and fast.  Best part is you put it all on to cook and then go kick up your feet.  I am not kidding.
After about 20 minutes I pulled out the chicken and it was juicy and flavored perfectly.

No comments: