Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Monday, September 3, 2012

Lets All Say Hi To Traci!


Over the past few months, I’ve had the privilege to chat with and share cooking experiences with a fine upcoming chef. We’ve had a few laughs and we’ve also supported each other’s cooking skills.
Now Traci has her own blog site, and I strongly urge my readers to take the time to visit and see some of her fabulous dishes. You won’t regret it. I haven’t. After this interview, I will be sharing some of Traci’s pictures of just a few of her dishes. If you want the recipes, go to her link here to see the recipes.
http://www.recipesfortheravenous.com
Now for the Interview.
Chef Hank: Hi Traci, why don’t you introduce yourself and give us a brief bio?
Traci: My name is Traci Yamane. I’m a single mother who happens to have a degree in culinary arts. I’ve worked in the area of foodservice for over 5 years and have also been involved in the education of high school culinary students. I’ve enjoyed cooking since childhood. My first cooking adventure happened when I was 6 yrs. old. I spent the night with a family friend. I enlisted the help of the friend’s daughter to cook breakfast for everyone, much to my mother’s horror! Ever since that incident, I have been head over heels in love with cooking.
My cooking style is who I am..fresh, vibrant and flavorful, but also family friendly. I take care of a 94yr. old grandma and an 8 yr. old son.
I hope that you will find inspiration in my food, whether you are a seasoned veteran chef or someone who is just beginning his or her culinary journey.
Chef Hank: When you prepare a dish, what inspires you?
Traci: “I get inspired by seasonal and fresh ingredients. I like color and flavor. My cooking is eclectic”.
Chef Hank: As for cooking experiences, can you say as to which cuisine is your strong point?
Traci: “My strongest cuisine is Asian…most proficient at Chinese”.
Chef Hank: What made you decide to become a chef?
Traci: “I decided to become a chef, because it was my dream. I waited until regular college was finished and I worked for awhile but was not fulfilled. S I enrolled in the culinary school at KCC. Also known as the Culinary Institute of the Pacific”.
Chef Hank: As a single mom, do you share some of the cooking with your son?
Traci: Yes I do involve my son in cooking. I give him age and skill appropriate duties. I have also taught middle-school aged children to cook.
Chef Hank: Now most of my readers are moms with children, can you explain as to what you meant by age and skill appropriate duties?
Traci:”My son is 8…so I give him simple tasks like stirring or cracking eggs or grating cheese. He is also able to read, so I ask him to read the recipe aloud or let him measure some of the ingredients. By next year, I will teach him to use the stove under my supervision”.
Chef Hank: One last question before we end this interview and show pictures of some of your dishes that you created. In some point in time, every chef has a blooper in his or hers past experience. Can you give us one instance of such a blooper?
Traci: “It was at the school where I worked. My student was helping me bake Black Bottom cupcakes…they looked great…until he told me he forgot to add in the sugar! So, what we did was pierce the cupcakes with a skewer and douse them with chocolate syrup! Good save!

Banana Brownie Bites
Banana Brownie Bites

Chicken and Noodle Soup
Chicken and Noodle Soup

Lemon Panna Cottage with Fruit
Lemon Panna Cotta with Fruit

Very Berry Cream Cake
Very Berry Cream Cake

No comments: