Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Barbecue Sauce and Rub, To Make You The Hero Of The Day


This bbq sauce is seriously going into rotation. Even before I added the chocolate it was amazing, so feel free to do it either way. This is the only recipe I followed for this dish, with the small tweak of the cilantro. Because I know not everyone is a fan, I just added a sprig on top for garnish.

Choclate Pork Rub


Cocoa Rubbed Pork with Chocolate Barbecue Sauce.
Dark Chocolate BBQ Sauce:
1 tbsp. butter, soft
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ Spanish onion, small dice
2 Roma tomatoes, stem removed, small dice
1 ½ oz. dark brown sugar
4 tsp. ancho chili powder
4 oz. apple cider vinegar
8 oz. barbeque sauce
14 oz. vegetable stock
¼ tsp. cumin, ground
¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
1/8 tsp. cloves, ground
2 oz. any good quality with 82% dark chocolate
2 tbsp. cilantro, fresh, chopped
¾ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper, fresh ground
Melt butter in small sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, sauté 5 minutes until golden brown. Add tomatoes, stir, and sauté an additional 5 minutes. Add sugar and chili powder, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes. Add vinegar, reduce for 5 minutes, mixture should have a paste consistency. Add sauce, stock, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper. Mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce to a slow simmer for 30 minutes.
Add chocolate and cilantro; allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove sauce from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Puree sauce, strain to remove any little bits if you'd like a smoother sauce, transfer to a clean container and cool.
For best results, refrigerate for 12 hours before using. Reheat when ready to use.
Cocoa Rubbed Pork Loin
I'd really recommend asking your butcher to french the loin for you, doing it yourself takes some time and really sharp knives.
I had a four pound bone in pork loin, and frenched it myself. It wasn't as clean as it could've been.
Once it was frenched, I patted my rub (recipe below) all over it. I placed it in a shallow roasting pan on a bed of quartered onion and a few cloves of garlic with about half a cup of stock, bone side up.
I then roasted it at 350 for an hour - an hour and a half, until my thermometer told me it was at 160. I then removed it from the oven, covered it with foil to keep it warm and allow it to finish cooking to a temp of 170. Once it had been out of the oven for 15-20 minutes or so, I sliced each chop for plating.
Rub:
1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)
¼ Kosher salt
2 tsp. crushed chili flakes (I used two, but think I might up it a bit next time)
½ tsp. cloves
2 tbsp. sugar
I added all of these ingredients to a small jar with a lid and then shook to combine.

No comments: