Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Having Some Fun In The Kitchen


This mini version of the classic Red Velvet Cake is one of the more popular offerings in bakeries all across the country. Whip up a batch this holiday season or anytime of the year.
I wanted to make some cupcakes, but I didn’t just want any cupcake. I wanted Red Velvet, but in ice cream cones instead. I never said that I was normal, I‘m just different and all my friends and family can vouch for that.
When making Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes, you can use just about any cupcake recipe. You can also use boxed mixes as well (something I don’t like to do, for I always like to do things the hard way).

ice-cream-cone-cupcakes-09


Red Velvet Cupcakes (Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes)
2 ½ c. flour
½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 c. sour cream
½ c. milk
1 (1 oz.) bottle Red Food Color
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
¼ c. butter, softened
2 tbsp. sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
16 oz. box confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Do not overbeat. Spoon batter into ice cream cones, filling each one 2/3 full.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean (if using cones, be sure to watch the time, for it will be done a lot quicker due to less cake batter). Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Frost with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting.
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese, softened, butter, sour cream and Vanilla Extract in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
Chef’s Note: This recipe originally called for making 30 cupcakes, but I wanted to use the Ice cream cones instead. I also went after making the frosting, added a little chocolate syrup as I stirred the frosting to get the swirl effect.

No comments: