Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Sorry Charlie


A couple of years ago, I was really tired of cooking all the time.  I actually started hating it.  Meal planning, cooking, cleaning, the whole process.  I still have moments when I get tired, but I just realized I don’t hate it anymore.
Sounds so simple, but at the time it was quite a difficult concept for me.  I can be a little bit of a perfectionist.
I’ve also turned cooking into a hobby, a way for me to be creative through exploring new recipes, then photographing the results and blogging it.  It is sometimes stressful (because you know… perfectionist), but it is mostly fun.  Plus, it has gotten me out of my cooking comfort zone.

Pan Seared Tuna Steak

Even two years ago… heck even a year ago, I would never have tried making marshmallows.  The unfamiliar ingredients like gelatin and having to use a candy thermometer would have intimidated me.  Well, making marshmallows turned out to be easy.  With each new challenge overcome, my confidence in trying other new things have grown.
So, finally we get to tuna, the real subject of this post. 
Some recipes recommended minimum of 2 hours of marinating.  The tuna steak will come out juicy.  I think the key was watching my time to avoid over-cooking. The original recipe says 5 -6 minutes grilling on each side. I pan seared the steaks for 4 minutes on each side. It was perfect. Just a hint of pink, but not over done.
I thought the tuna was “fantastic”, I don’t know if full 2 hours of marinating would have made a difference. 

Pan Seared Tuna Steak in Asian Marinade
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
¼ tsp. dry oregano or ½ tsp. chopped fresh oregano
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for cooking
¼ c. orange juice
¼ c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 (4 oz.) tuna steaks, about ¾ inch thick
In a medium shallow baking dish (glass or non-reactive), mix together all the ingredients minus the tuna. Place the tuna in the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Flip the tuna and refrigerate for another hour. Remove tuna from marinade and set aside on a plate.
In large pan heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium high.  Lay each steak and cook for 4 minutes.  Flip and cook the other side for 4 minutes or to desired doneness.  Let it sit for couple of minutes before serving.
Chef’s note: I recommend serving it with steamed brown rice and stir-fried bok choy.

No comments: