It's A Work of Art
Wedding cakes are truly a work of art and many man-hours can go into creating these masterpieces. It's important to know though, that most of a the wedding cakes cost will be in the creating of your wedding cake and the least cost is in the actual ingredients.
This is where the costs come in: your choice of icing or frosting and how the cake is decorated i.e.: simple swirls or intricate artwork. The size of the cake and whether it is layered or tiered. The number of servings – this is a direct reflection of your guest list. And of course your choice in wedding cake topper – these do vary in price.
How to Determine Cake Price:
1. The wedding cake icing or frosting: as a bride-to-be you have the choice of rolled fondant icing, marzipan, white chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate frosting, royal icing, chocolate ganache and flavored buttercream. Rolled fondant and marzipan are the most expensive, as a fair bit of labor goes into rolling a perfectly smooth and even canvas for limitless cake decorating options. Rolled fondant and marzipan are quite delicate and can tear easily during the process if not applied with experienced hands.
2. Cake Decorating: cake decorations will vary according to which icing you pick. If you've picked rolled fondant, when it's completely dry – it's firm and perfectly smooth. The decorating ideas are limitless. However, if you prefer your cake covered in either buttercream or ganache, then your best choice for decorations are swirls, patterns, fresh flowers or silk flowers, decorative patterns or swirls and even decorative organza and satin ribbons.
Fairy Godmother tip; buttercream is a delicious choice, but if you're having a summer wedding, it's best not to choose buttercream. The buttercream will melt quickly and not stand the test of time. Best to choose rolled fondant or marzipan. You can still keep the costs down by decorating your cake with fresh or silk flowers and some lovely ribbon.
3. Layer Structure: the more cake layers or tiers your cake has, the more costly it becomes. The size of the tiers also increases the overall cake price.
4. Cake Shape & Novelty Cakes: simple round shaped cakes are the least expensive as far as shape is concerned. Most wedding cake bakeries will have all the round baking tray sizes. The square shape is also quite common but a little less than the round. However, if you are wanting an oval shaped cake, a heart shaped cake or something less common – these cake pans may need to be especially ordered to make your cake. When is comes to novelty cakes or special theme cakes – for example; a Topsy Turvy cake, then the cake will need to be cut in a particular shape and re-structured to take the shape of your special theme. This takes extra time to create and adds to the overall cost of the wedding cake price.
5. The Cake Size: the size of your wedding cake is a direct reflection of your guest list. The larger the wedding cake, or the more complex in design – the greater the chance of the cake collapsing. Extra measures and time go into securing the structure of the cake so it doesn't topple over – so huge cakes need more time to secure. And some complex wedding cakes can only be assembled at the wedding reception. These are just some of the hidden costs.
6. How Many Servings: this of course depends on your guest list – and whether or not you're keeping the top tier to celebrate your first wedding anniversary – if so, then you'll need to order an extra layer or tier to feed your guests.
7. Wedding Cake Toppers: the wedding cake topper can be as simple as a small bouquet of fresh flowers or silk flowers – to a crystal monogrammed topper, photo frame topper, heart shaped topper, blown glass topper, theme topper or customed made caricature topper of the bride and groom. Here are some cake topper categories that I've assembled together if you would like to take a peak.
Dream Wedding Cake - On A Shoe-string Budget
If you're on a shoe-string budget, you can still have your dream wedding cake - just have one display cake and keep it small. To keep the wedding cake costs down, order a small wedding cake covered with your favorite icing and in the shape you desire – have it beautifully decorated. This cake will be on display and used for the cutting of the cake photos.
Have extra slab cakes (or sheet cakes) made to feed the rest of your guests. They are baked in rectangular shaped baking pans, made with the same ingredients and frosted or icing as your display cake. There's no need to have it intricately decorated as it will just be used for cutting and serving.
Colorful Spring Wedding Cakes
The vibrancy of spring wedding cakes owes as much to the gorgeous flowers that both adorn the spring wedding cake and inspire it. Gorgeous flowers cascade down the tiers of the wedding cake. Young brides who opt for a spring wedding theme usually ensure the color motifs match those of the rest of the wedding party.
It is only natural that a spring wedding should be a colorful affair, and it is equally natural that the spring cake embodies the color and exuberance of spring flowers. And did I mention they should be vibrant?
Other spring theme wedding cake ideas may include a vivacious fondant frosting color of, perhaps apple green or vibrant yellow. Then decorated with simple sugar paste or gum paste florals. The design may be simple but effective for the spring wedding theme.
Spring Theme Wedding Cake Designs
When I think of summer wedding cakes, my imagination always sways to a tropical rhythm. The vibrant colors and tastes of guavas, passionfruit or other tropical fruits, coupled with beautiful florals make the summer wedding theme cakes one of the fresher and more colorful of wedding cakes.
No summer theme wedding cake is complete without motifs of the beach theme wedding cake with seashell or with beautiful summer flowers. Of course, for those going for the full beach wedding experience, the smell and sound of the beach with the waves lapping on the shore make a stunning backdrop to their summer nuptials. Of course, not everybody lives near the tropics.
Summer Wedding Theme Cake Designs
Whether your summer experience involves the smell of pine forests and summer flowers or the summer melt is in Siberia. The common feature of a summertime wedding is Nature in full bloom, at the height of her powers.
Dreamy Pink Wedding Cake Designs
A pink wedding cake is the perfect choice if you're planning on having an elegant white and pink wedding theme. The color pink represents romance, love, purity, softness, playfulness, compassion, loyalty, protection, enthusiasm, kindness and happiness. Pink is also the 4th Chakra, known as the Heart Chakra, having the influences of compassion and humanity.
NOTE: Before choosing your cake, work out how many guests are coming to the wedding reception, as this determines the cake tiers. Have a look as some of my wedding cake pictures to help you make your decision on the style, shape and size of your cake.
Fairy Godmother tip! Always cater for more wedding cake than your guest list, it could be embarrassing if you run out. It's hard to know what size to cut the cake insuring everyone gets a piece, so it's better to order a larger cake than too small.
Adorable Mini Wedding Cakes
Mini wedding cakes look so impressive as wedding table decorations. Miniature wedding cakes can be individually packed in a clear boxed or served as wedding dessert at the wedding reception.
When mini cakes are beautifully boxed and decorated with ribbon, they make very elegant wedding favors, the perfect sweet treat for your wedding guests to take home. A lovely token of thanks and remembrance for your special day.
If you're not concerned about cost, you can have your miniature wedding cakes made to look like a miniature version of your larger wedding reception cake. Your miniature cake favors will be the talk of the party.
Wedding cupcakes are a modern alternative to traditional wedding cakes and serve as an interesting wedding table centerpiece when decorating for wedding receptions. There are creative ways to showcase these miniature wedding cakes. They can be displayed on decorative trays or as a cupcake tiered wedding cake arrangement.
The tiered cupcake wedding cake arrangement is a far more impressive alternative than using the trays, as it looks more like a decorative wedding centerpiece. Your wedding cake can either all be cupcakes, miniature wedding cakes or fancy desserts. The other alternative is to have a small wedding cake as the top tier. It's perfect for the wedding photos and for the cutting of the cake. The cupcake wedding cake or mini wedding cakes are then arranged on the second, third and forth tier. Perfect for wedding couples who prefer cupcakes instead of wedding cake.
Fairy Godmother tip; when its time for the cutting of the cake, the bride and groom can either exchange cupcakes or a slice of the top cake. It is also traditional to keep the top cake for the couple’s first anniversary.
If this is your plan, spend more money on a designer cake and choose memorable and unique wedding cake designs to impress your wedding guests. Your cake will be the talk of the evening. You'll get to have your dream cake made by a wedding cake designer and still keep within you wedding budget.
Cupcake wedding cakes
Miniature wedding cake
Make sure your choice of wedding cupcake ties in with the rest of the wedding theme and decor. Having cupcakes instead of tiered wedding cake saves you time and with the cutting of the cake and the assembling and it ensure all your guests receive an equal mini wedding cake portion.
WEDDING CAKE FLAVORS
Our flavors are also contemporary with a choice to suit everyone’s taste.
Check out our list below and see what tickles your taste buds!
Chocolate truffle orange torte: A rich, moist chocolate truffle torte, scented with the goodness of fresh oranges and designed to melt in your mouth.
Raspberry and white chocolate torte: A scrumptious moist white chocolate torte with an explosion of fresh raspberries to create a real taste sensation. This is a real hit with our customers!
Luxurious white chocolate and cinnamon torte: A scrumptious moist white chocolate torte with a swirl of cinnamon to bring it to life.
Chocolate truffle torte: A rich, moist chocolate truffle torte, savour the flavor as it melts in your mouth!
Luscious lemon: A rich lemon spiked Madeira cake, with an explosion of lemon in each bite!
White Chocolate and Malibu cake: A rich dense white chocolate mud cake with a dash of the tropical rum, Malibu, enjoyed by coconut lovers.
White chocolate mud cake: A rich dense white chocolate mud cake, rich and delicious!
Rich moist fruit cake: A rich moist fruitcake matured with brandy to give it a kick!
Madeira: Plain but simple it’s that old favorite Madeira, layered with a flavored buttercream.
Spiced mango cake: A rich and moist lightly spiced cake with mango pieces
Lime and coconut sponge: Yummy soft sponge with a hint of coconut and a dash of lime.
Mango and passionfruit sponge: Exactly as it says tropical on a plate!
Spiced apple and cinnamon cake: A rich and moist lightly spiced cake with apple pieces and cinnamon.
White chocolate and Bailey’s torte: A scrumptious moist white chocolate torte with a hint of creamy Baileys.
Zesty orange cake: A rich orange spiked Madeira cake, with an explosion of orange in each bite!
Scrumptious Carrot cake: A rich moist flavorsome carrot cake layered with a delicious complementing buttercream.
Salted caramel torte: A taste sensation torte, a rich caramel flavored torte with a hint of salt and a rich creamy caramel buttercream to complement.
Chocolate fudge cake: A scrumptious chocolate cake with a fudge center.
Coffee and walnut cake: A rich coffeecake made with expresso coffee and walnut chunks
Coffee and Pecan nut: Same as above but with sweet Pecan nuts instead
All our cakes are layered with a complementing buttercream to match the flavor of cake.
If you have a particular flavor you would like and it’s not listed here, let us know and we will create it for your special day!
Technorati Tags: Wedding Cakes