Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bombay Chicken

Bombay Chicken

Bombay Chicken
This is a fairly simple gluten free recipe that I can make with a few pantry ingredient confess I make this with different proportions every time which makes it difficult for me to write down. If I have wine I use wine- if not, I use gluten free beer. When I ran out of tomatoes this week, I made the recipe with peaches and it was even more yummy. Sometimes I cook the chicken breasts whole and sometimes I cut them in 2 inch pieces. You see where I am going. Make it your own!
If you don’t like the texture of coconut, you may want to make this with my coconut rice recipe and leave out the shredded coconut garnish. You get the flavor without the textures.
3 tbsp. butter or oil
3 boneless chicken breasts
½ c. onion (I use red onion)
½ tsp. garlic
½ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. fresh ginger root, minced
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
½ tsp. curry powder (this ingredient is optional for curry haters/curry lovers may want to kick it up)
1 c. chopped fresh tomatoes or fresh peaches, diced (I have used peaches and it was fabulous)
½ c. gluten free chicken broth
¼ c. gluten free beer or dry white wine
1/3 c. milk
2-3 tsp. cornstarch
Cooked rice or use coconut rice
Garnish
2 green onions, chopped
¼ c. chopped cashews or almonds (optional)
¼ c. shredded coconut
Prepare your chicken- cut into 2 inch pieces OR pound the chicken breasts between plastic wrap until flattened just a little. In a heavy, deep frying pan, melt the butter or heat the oil over med. heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. If using the 2 inch pieces, it will take about 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan, but reserve the butter. Cook the onion for about 3 minutes; add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan and add chicken broth, salt, ginger, chili powder, cayenne, curry, chopped peaches, and beer/wine. Stir to combine. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to low (if not there already) and cook until chicken is tender when pierced with a fork.
In a small measuring cup, mix milk and cornstarch. Slowly stir into chicken mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil and thicken the sauce.  Serve with rice and garnish.
3-5 servings



COCONUT RICE
2 c. jasmine rice
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1 c. water
½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
Salt to taste
Just a squeeze of lime juice
Mix the ingredients for the coconut rice together in your rice cooker and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Eyeball the liquid levels and make sure it seems right to you. If it comes out moist, remove the lid and place a dishtowel over the rice cooker and it will fluff up your rice. I had perfect rice with the above measurements. This recipe makes a ton of rice because I like eating leftovers the next day for breakfast or lunch. Simply cut the recipe in half if you don’t need that much rice.
Note: It is possible that some rice cookers don’t perform as well as others (i.e. might burn the bottom of the rice), so if this doesn’t work try making coconut rice on the stove. Mine is a medium of the road rice cooker and it worked fine.
If you don’t have a rice cooker, go buy one! I use mine about 3 times a week. A Rice cooker is also great to have when you are traveling gluten-free.

No comments: