Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Monday, December 19, 2011

Coffee: The Secret Ingredient

As I sit here in front of my computer, with a cup of coffee in my hand (which is every minute of the day). I often wondered how many people realized that coffee is an excellent seasoning and ingredient for cooking.
I have at my disposal, two spice grinders. One is black and the other is red. The black one is mainly used for grinding coffee into a very fine powder, while the red is for spices only. I chose black for coffee, because that's how I drink my coffee. I don't use sweetener or creamer (or milk) to ruin the flavor of my coffee.
As you can see, off to the side I have an ad for an online coffee store named ROASTe. Now this site carries alot of different blends of coffee, some in which I have used in the recipes that will be shown below.
I buy the ground coffee, because I can use it for both drinking as well as for cooking.
When I cook with the ground coffee, I place it first into my handy black spice grinder and grind it in to a fine powder. But you can also go to your local store and buy your coffee there, or go to ROASTe and order a pound or two. Now I'll give you a few recipes, but first I need to refill my cup.

Coffee Crusted Steak
Once you prepare your steaks with this recipe, you'll never what to have it any other way again.

2 (8 oz.) ribeye steaks
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ground coffee (I used Hazelnut)
1/2 tbsp. Olive oil
1/2 tbsp. butter

Season steaks with salt and pepper, then cover with ground coffee. Heat a heavy-bottom skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Heat until butter is browned. Cook steaks for 3 minutes on each side. Let steaks rest on a plate covered with foil for 5-10 minutes before serving. enjoy!

Coffee Crusted Pork Chops with White Chocolate Sauce


3 tbsp. butter
3 tsp. flour
1 c. chicken broth
2 oz. White chocolate

3 tbsp. butter
4 boneless pork chops
6 tbsp. finely ground coffee for dredging
Salt and pepper

Make the white sauce with the white chocolate first.
Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is melted and add the flour and mix well. Add broth, stirring constantly to incorporate and cook the flour. Let the sauce cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring often times. (Add more broth if it tends to become too thick during the 15 minutes). Add salt to taste. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate, stirring until completely melted. Set aside.
Melt 3 tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper, then dredge them into the fine ground coffee, taking time to coat both sides of the chops. Cook the chops until done, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with rice, mango chutney, fried plantains and/or bananas with the white chocolate sauce.

Coffee Crusted Pork Loin
Here you can experiment with different coffee blends.

1 1/2 lb. Pork Loin
3 tbsp. Olive oil
2 tbsp. French roasted coffee grounds, finely grounded
4 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cayenne

Preheat oven to 350.
Pour olive oil in a large skillet on medium. Cut the silvery skin off of the loin. Mix the coffee and spices together, then rub all over the loin. When the oil is hot (but not smoking), add the pork and sear all four sides. Place loin on a cooking sheet and put in preheated oven. Cook for about 20 minutes or until internal temperature is 160.

No comments: