Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Kitchen......My Laboratory

I have been quite busy lately, trying to come up with a new twist to cupcakes. I had the batter figured, but I wasn't too sure as to how I was to bake them. Then I remembered a cupcake recipe that my granddaughter brought home from school. It was cupcakes in a jar. But I didn't have any jars laying around, but it did sound like it would be fun to try someday in the future. So I looked around, rummaged through all my cupboards and I came across the ice cream cones. Then I remembered that awhile back, during the childhood days (which by the way, was really a long while back). I remembered buying little cones with a cake-like substance in it, I'm sure that there are some of you out there that had them too. Come on now, don't leave me stranded as the old man and the rest of you are sooo young. But back to the cupcakes.
The box of cones bravely volunteered a couple of cones, to do a test run as to how much to fill and to how long to cook. Those cones will always be remembered as I bite into my new cupcakes. To some of you, this may not be a new concept, but for me it was an amazing discovery. Now here is the recipe, and also a couple of pictures to show off the outcome.

Cone Cupcakes

1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
24 ice cream cones

Preheat oven to 375.
Cream butter and sugar in a bowl, until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. In a separate bowl, measure flour, baking powder and salt, mix well. Add milk to butter mixture in 2 parts, alternately with the flour mixture in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
Fill cones 3/4 full leaving the batter 1/2 inch from the top of the cones. Place filled cones on a baking tray. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cakes to completely cool before putting on the icing.


No comments: