Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Friday, July 8, 2011

I'm Baaaack!

Its been awhile since my last blog, and it sure has been a busy time for me lately. I would like to start off with giving thanks to all whom has been reading my blogs. I also want to take this time to apologize for not keeping up with my writing too.
Like I said, it has been very busy for me. First, I was so close to owning my own restaurant, but it was financially not wise to continue with this project. There were alot of problems that were discovered during the inspections. Both structurally and mechanically. The owners fail to have a regular upkeep of the site and was grossly neglected.
Second, I have been quite busy with private cooking lessons and catering. So really, I have had no real idle time. That is until now. I have also been trying new dishes and desserts, that I must have gained at least twenty pounds. (This reminds me of a silly saying, "Never trust a skinny cook!").
I've also been working on a fantastic website that was free and everyone is invited to check it out. The web address is www. apersonalchefservice.yolasite.com/
I have also placed ads on Thumbtack and Betterfly. I have even went modern and became a tweeter on twitter. I also listed myself on linkedin as well. It never hurts to get as much exposure as one can possibly could.
Now for what everyone has been waiting for, a recipe! This is one of my faves, its not too sweet but it is sinfully delicious and certainly not for the weight conscious public. It is called "Durbin Hotel Sugar Cream Pie" It has a buttery taste and it is really the diverseness of the pie that no one can really go wrong. A friend shared with me the other day, that when she made this pie. She went and topped it off with strawberries that she had thawed. Haven't tried it this way, but after seeing my wife's eye grow big when I mentioned it to her. I think I'll be making it again sooner than I plan to. But anyways, here is the recipe:

Durbin Hotel Sugar Cream Pie

1 deep dish pie shell, baked and cooled
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. cornstarch
1/2 c. milk
Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400.
In a double boiler, combine butter, 1/2 cup milk, sugar and cream. Heat over moderate heat until butter has completely melted and the sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat and allow to simmer. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1/2 cup milk until smooth. Pour slowly into hot cream mixture, stirring constantly. Stir until mixture has thickened to pudding thickness, pour  into pie shell and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

No comments: