Chef Time!

Chef Time!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cooking With Your Imagination

No recipe is written in stone. Why do you think we have so many recipes that are different for the same dish? Its because someone else thought that they could do the dish differently, easier, or even quicker.
I myself, never use a full recipe, when making a dish. I use the basics or fundamentals, but never the full recipe. This way, I can incorporate my own signature to the dish.
Cooking in the kitchen, whether it’s at home or in a restaurant, is a lot like a chemist in a laboratory. You add a little of this seasoning along with a pinch of that seasoning. Then you serve it with this side dish instead of that side dish, then you have a masterpiece that you can call your own.
Lets look at an easy recipe for an example, lets look at a recipe for making chocolate chip cookies. To date, I found about thirty-five different recipes for making chocolate chip cookies. Each one has its own way of making the very same cookies but in a different way. Some call for cake mixes, all-purpose flour or even rice flour. Then there is the margarine, oil, or shortening. Now we add eggs, egg yolks or just the whites. Next we add milk chocolate, dark-chocolate or semi-sweet. Do you see where I am going at?
Different ways of making the same cookie.
When I’m preparing a meat dish, whether it’s chicken, beef or pork, I never know how I intend to prepare it. I just think of what Dish I want it to resemble, and then that is where the chemist in me begins. I look at the dish when it is completed before I even started the preparations. I allow my imagination do the work for me. Especially if I had eaten a certain dish and thought that it tasted wonderful. Then I imagine as to how it was made, what flavor or season stood out the most and then start my preparation.
So I say again, no recipe is written in stone. If it were, then we would have very bland meals. So remember to start with the basics or fundamentals, and let your imaginations do the rest.

No comments: